Founded in 2001, we now present a network of around 700 members in the UK, Republic of Ireland and Channel Islands. Our Membership, and the public’s awareness of the work we do as the not-for-profit membership association of doulas, grow steadily each year.
If you are interested in becoming a doula, please read about what doulas do and what doulas cost, and explore the other pages on our website under the ‘About doulas’ heading. This will give you a sense of what working as a doula involves, and how much you might expect to earn. All of our members are self employed, and as with any business, the amount of work they do depends on various factors. Your Doula Mentor/s, and various member resources will support you in your work, but you will need to be motivated to make your doula business a success.
Pregnant women and their partners are increasingly learning about the benefits of doula support, as are healthcare professionals and the media. We welcome and embrace women joining our ranks from a diverse range of backgrounds, all of whom have a variety of reasons for being drawn to birth and postnatal support.
Best wishes as you begin your journey.
Check List of Steps to Start Your Doula Journey
- Read the ‘Journey to Being a Doula’ page.
- Strongly consider attending and introductory workshop.
- From the list of Approved Doula Preparation Courses listed, choose those that appeal, read the providers’ websites carefully and possibly also talk with the course provider. Choose your course based on how you feel, as well as practical considerations like cost and location.
- Attend your chosen Course, complete post course modules. If satisfactory you will receive your course attendance certificate and instructions on how to join Doula UK.
- Join DUK via the website, 2019 membership rate is £7.25 per month.
- Receive and read your DUK Welcome Email.
- Read DUK Philosophy, Code of Conduct and other Policies and Procedures .
- Find a Doula Mentor, have an initial conversation with them and send them your completed Aide Memoire.
- When you have agreed to work together your details go live on the Find a Doula pages.
- Commence the Recognition Process with Doula UK. Fees are £40 per birth or postnatal record (up to a maximum of £160) plus £40 for the final recognition interview (total £200). A birth AND postnatal doula will need to budget for a total of £400, which can be paid to your Doula Mentor as you go along.