Founded in 2001, we now present a network of around 650 members in the UK. Our Membership, and the public’s awareness of the work we do as the not-for-profit membership association of doulas, grows steadily each year.
If you are interested in becoming a doula, you might be interested in attending our Doula UK Introductory Workshop.
Pregnant women, people and their partners are increasingly learning about the benefits of doula support, as are healthcare professionals and the media. We welcome and embrace people joining our ranks from a diverse range of backgrounds, all of whom have a variety of reasons for being drawn to birth and postnatal support.
Steps to Start Your Doula Journey
- Find out about the role of a doula here.
- Attend a Doula UK Introductory Workshop to find out more about becoming a doula and if it is right for you. These are currently being held online.
- From the list of Doula UK Approved Preparation Courses listed, choose those that appeal, read the providers’ websites carefully and possibly also talk with the course provider. Choose your course based on how you feel, as well as practical considerations like cost and location. Doula UK also offer an Alternative Pathway to membership for trained doulas and experienced birth workers. Find out about this here.
- Complete the training requierements from your chosen training pathway at the end of which you will receive an email with instructions on how to join Doula UK.
- Join Doula UK. There is a £25 joining fee followed by monthly membership fee of £8 per month.
- Receive and read your Doula UK Welcome Email.
- Read DUK Philosophy, Code of Conduct and other Policies and Procedures .
- Find a Doula Mentor, you can choose between a Doula UK mentor and an approved Doula UK Course Provider Mentor. We recommend contacting and having a chat with potential mentors before you send them your doula introduction form.
- Complete your Doula Profile. Once you have a mentor they will publish your Doula Profile so it is visible to the public and you can be found in the doula directory.
- Commence the Recognition Process with Doula UK.
- The mentoring fee is capped at £300 for birth and £300 for postnatal. The mentoring fee for both will not exceed £600. Mentors are requested to provide a payment plan which is typically broken down into 5 payments (or 10 payments) of £60.
- It is at the mentor’s discretion if they decide to offer mentoring for a reduced fee in cases where, for instance, a mentee is providing doula support through the Access Fund.
- Congratulations you are a Doula UK doula!