The Doula Access Fund project was relaunched in January 2020 to provide free doula support to those experiencing disadvantage and financial hardship.
Donate now and help us provide life-changing doula support.
If you would like to make a donation please click below;
- Set up a regular monthly donation to to the Doula Access Fund
- Make a one off donation to the Doula Access Fund
- If you represent a Grant Making Trust or Foundation, or would like to discuss your donation, please contact Sarah Robinson by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Doula Access Fund provides free support during pregnancy, labour and after the birth of a baby to those experiencing disadvantage and financial hardship. Each applicant is referred to us by a health care professional, social worker or charitable partner.
Once an application has been approved, the parent may select an experienced and trained birth doula from our list, who can visit them at home during pregnancy and be their companion during labour and birth as a constant support. This is particularly impactful to the majority of applicants who are facing the trauma of being isolated in their pregnancy and would have given birth alone.
A parent can alternatively choose to select a postnatal doula who will support them and their baby in the first six weeks following the birth. The doula can help with breastfeeding or support in other ways to help facilitate a nurturing bond between the parent and baby.
The doula is there as a continuous emotional and physical support and gives kind and respectful non-judgemental care. The aim is to empower and give confidence to the parent to make the best, informed choices about how to care for their baby. Doulas have a wide network and can signpost new families to free services in the area such as baby groups and postnatal depression services. Doula UK Access Fund Doulas have all completed approved Doula UK training and have a current DBS.
Feedback received in 2020 from Doula Access Fund supported parents:
I feel that having doula support:
- helped me to have a more positive birth experience
- enabled me to give my baby a better start in life
- helped me to bond well with my baby
- increased my confidence with looking after my baby
- improved my mental health and well-being in pregnancy and after my baby was born