Who Is Eligible?
The Doula UK Access Fund is only available to:
- women who have a total household income of £16,000 or less, and:
- are in receipt of means-tested benefits
- or have a referral from a health professional, for example from a midwife or GP, stating why you would benefit from the support of a doula as well as confirmation that you have an annual total household income below £16,000.
- women referred from a Doula UK Charitable Partner, providing services to women without income, such as organisations providing refuge to women escaping domestic abuse or refugees. If you are in contact with, or work for, such an organisation, but have not previously worked with Doula UK, please contact us.
The Access Fund can only be used when hiring a Doula UK registered doula.
Getting help from the Access Fund
If you would like assistance from a birth or postnatal doula and feel you may be eligible to access this Fund, please get in touch with our Doula UK Access Fund administrator, Sarah Stephen-Smith on email@example.com She will then send you an application form and assist you with any queries you may have. Finding and choosing a doula will be up to you, though Sarah and your local Doula UK Area Rep may be able to help if you struggle. Many of our members have indicated on their profile that they are Access Fund volunteers, which can help with your search. While we would love to be able to guarantee that you will find a doula, unfortunately it isn’t always possible, especially if it is last minute. Please contact Sarah as early as possible, to give you as much time as possible to find a doula.
Supporting the Access Fund
Perhaps you are a doula who agrees that a doula should be an option for every woman who wants one? Perhaps you hired a doula yourself and would like to help others get the benefits you enjoyed? Supporting the Doula UK Access Fund enables us to support more women.
If you would like to make a donation please either:
- send a cheque payable to ‘Doula UK’, with your name, address and telephone number clearly written on the reverse or on the enclosed documentation to: Doula UK Access Fund, Home Lea Cottage, The Green, Stowupland, Suffolk, IP14 4AE.
- or donate online here.
Please ensure that you write that your donation is specifically for the ‘Doula Access Fund’ so that it will not get included with general running costs income.
Access Fund Charity creation
In October 2017 the membership of Doula UK voted to create an Access Fund charity. This will mean separating out the Fund into a stand alone charitable entity, with its own Board of Trustees. We have now begun the process of appointing Trustees to this new charity, and invite anyone with a passion for this work, who would be interested in becoming a Trustee, to contact us via firstname.lastname@example.orgFind out about fundraising for Doula UK