The Doula UK Access Fund covers the expenses of Doula UK doulas volunteering to work with local clients in financial hardship, enabling those on a very low income to have the support of a doula.
In October 2017 the Membership of Doula UK voted to create an Access Fund Charity.
To date the Fund has been financed out of Doula UK’s Membership income and from modest donations. In recent years demand for the service has risen, but we have been unable to generate more income for it, to meet that demand. As a charitable entity it is our hope that the Fund will receive the support necessary to ensure that our vision that we ‘turn no woman away’ becomes a reality.
We have already approved a number of applications from women with estimated due dates up to June 2018, and the Fund will now be closed to applications while we transition it to charitable status.
If you would like to be involved in the Charity as a trustee, adviser or advocate, or would like to be be on a mailing list to hear about important updates, please email email@example.com
About the Fund
The Doula UK Access Fund was started life as the Hardship Fund, first supporting women in 2004. Later it became the Access Fund, supporting the belief that everyone who needs a doula should be able to access one.
The Fund has been made available to:
- women who have a total household income of £16,000 or less, and:
- are in receipt of means-tested benefits
- or have a referral from a health professional, for example from a midwife or GP, stating why you would benefit from the support of a doula as well as confirmation that you have an annual total household income below £16,000.
- women referred from a Doula UK Charitable Partner, providing services to women without income, such as organisations providing refuge to women escaping domestic abuse or refugees. If you are in contact with, or work for, such an organisation, but have not previously worked with Doula UK, please contact us.
The Access Fund can only be used when hiring a Doula UK registered doula.
Supporting the Access Fund
Perhaps you are a doula who agrees that a doula should be an option for every woman who wants one? Perhaps you hired a doula yourself and would like to help others get the benefits you enjoyed? Supporting the Doula UK Access Fund will enable us to support more women when the Fund reopens.
If you would like to make a donation please either:
- send a cheque payable to ‘Doula UK’, with your name, address and telephone number clearly written on the reverse or on the enclosed documentation to: Doula UK Access Fund, Home Lea Cottage, The Green, Stowupland, Suffolk, IP14 4AE.
- or donate online here.
Please ensure that you write that your donation is specifically for the ‘Doula Access Fund’ so that it will not get included with general running costs income.
If you are interested in supporting the Charity through corporate giving or a regular Gift Aided donation please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Our amazing members, Priscilla Ferreira and Ana Cardetas, raised £1130
for the Doula UK Access Fund, running in the Wimbledon Half Marathon in May 2017