Postnatal (Recognised since November 2021)
Birth (Recognised since November 2021)
Lives in: Bristol BS3
Local info and availability:
I cover all of Bristol and will travel up to 1 hour outside of Bristol
Hello! I’m Olivia, a Birthbliss Academy trained birth and postnatal doula and KGH trained hypnobirthing practitioner based in Bristol. I became a doula and positive birth advocate as I believe the journey to a positive birth experience and positive start to parenthood stems from good preparation, good choices and good care. I want to give parents the knowledge to make informed choices for their birth and give them the tools to be confident in the early days of parenthood.
I live in Bristol with my partner and our two daughters. I had two very different birth experiences – one on the labour ward and one at home – both births played out differently from how I had ‘planned’ but both were enormously positive and intuitive experiences. I believe our positive experiences were absolutely down to the preparation we did as a couple and with our doula. We practiced hypnobirthing techniques religiously and we read and knew exactly what our choices were so that when it came down to it we felt totally in control and calm throughout.
Given my own experiences, and having witnessed other births, I know that each birth is different. Every person, couple and situation is different so there is no ‘one size fits all’ when it comes to preparation and education for birth and parenthood. As your doula I will be with you to guide you through the ‘what ifs’ and to help you see that YOU are the warrior and YOU have the power to own your birth no matter how it happens. I want you to believe in your strengths, be compassionate to your weaknesses and to be your birth.
Whatever your birth choices and whatever you decide works for you and your baby after the birth, I will help you harness your power to find joy and calmness. I will stand in your corner and will always be your advocate, researching and gathering information for you to ensure you have full knowledge and feel empowered in your birth and parenting choices. I will always bring a warm smile and a listening ear and will work closely with you to help you overcome hurdles and discover for yourself the parent you wish to be.
I offer a birth care package (including antenatal sessions) and a postnatal care package – my care packages can be tailored to suit your needs. Please get in touch to discuss your requirements and for a free consultation.
Birth care package:
- We will have 3 x 2 hour tailored antenatal sessions together which will include (but not restricted to);
- Debriefing your previous birth(s)
- Birth physiology
- Releasing fears
- Understanding your birth options and preparing your birth preferences
- Comfort and massage techniques for labour
- Guidance on navigating your local maternity system
- I will be available for support via the phone, text or email from the time of booking until 2 weeks post birth
- My on call period will be 10 days prior to your estimated due date until week 42. This will be 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- I will be available and present at whatever point you feel you need me throughout your labour and birth and in the immediate postnatal period
- 1 postnatal visit of 2 hours within the first two weeks after the birth (additional support can be arranged through my postnatal bookings)
Postnatal care package:
- Routine care of your baby – I will come to your house (or elsewhere if you need me to) and offer guidance and encouragement for the routine care of your baby. Including (but not restricted to);
- Swaddling techniques, calming holds, sling wearing, sleeping patterns, feeding patterns, bathing, dressing
- Feeding your baby – I support you in your choice of bottle or breast, or both! Following UNICEF and WHO guidance I will help with latch positions and give basic tips on feeding. I will signpost you to local groups and will refer you to my strong list of contacts of feeding specialists should we feel you need additional support
- Feeding you – I will cook nutritious meals for you ensuring that you are able to keep your energy up in order to meet the demands of your baby. I will teach you quick and easy recipes to keep you nurtured on the days when I am not with you. I will also happily go grocery shopping for you to ensure you have everything you need to last you the week
- Holding your space – I will be there to be whatever you need. A listening ear over a cup of tea, someone to watch and care for your baby while you shower or sleep and I can help you navigate your first trip outside with your baby. Whatever you feel you need you can ask and whatever I feel you may need I will offer
- Household chores – I will do light cleaning, clothes washing and ironing
- Telephone support – I will be available for support via the phone, text or email during our period of working together
My hourly rate for Bristol based clients is £18.50 and it will be a bit more for anything over 30 minutes commute from me. I recommend 2-3 hours for each session.
I’m very happy to offer payment plans or discuss discounts for bookings of over 20 hours so please get in touch for a free consultation to talk about your requirements.
* individual session must be a minimum of 2 hours
Doula UK approved – introductory workshop and mentorship (2017)
Birthbliss Academy doula training (2018)
Katherine Graves hypnobirthing practitioner training (The Royal College of Midwives accredited course) (2017)
NCT Access course (2018)
Biomechanics for birth with Molly O’Brien – RM BSc (hons) – of Optimal Birth (2020)
BASIS – SIDS and sleep safety (2020)
BASIS – normal infant sleep (2020)
Pelvic Health workshop for doulas (2021)
Advanced Biomechanics for birth with Molly O’Brien – RM BSc (hons) – of Optimal Birth (2021)