Postnatal (Recognised since April 2018)
Lives in: Epsom KT19
Local info and availability:
I cover South London and Surrey.
- Breastfeeding support - Teacher for Newborn course - Postnatal digital services - Support group for new mums and mums-to-be - Perinatal Mental Health and Wellbeing
I am a mum to two gorgeous boys and we live in Surrey (UK).
I have been working as a postnatal doula for nearly a decade. I trained back in 2014 and decided then to focus on the postnatal space. The bit when your baby comes home and the fun can really start. With my first son, Max, I got home from the hospital and thought “what now?”. I wasn’t sure what to do next.
I have been working with lots of gorgeous families who were after help for different reasons; looking for reassurance, chatting through ideas & emotions, feeling overwhelmed, reluctant to ask for help but knew something had to happen. They had no support they could call on or partner works long hours and looking for a second pair of practical hands.
Reasons are varied and often change as you go along. How you feel on week two is different to week 10 so the support changes with you.
The help I offer comes with no judgement. I am here to support your choices. The help supports new babies coming into the world. The help gently reminds this is your journey and an encouragement to tune into your instincts – sometimes this gets lost in the books, haze and tiredness.
As doulas, we take a step back when you are feeling ‘yeah, I’ve got this’ and feeling confident in your choices. Often this means going through a range of emotion however, you are supported until you feel you’ve turned your corner.
- If you would like virtual support which offers huge value with emotional support, continuity of care, demos, signposting to info/groups/experts, specific info to support both mum and baby, trusted and recommended resources, observations eg feeding, positions, sleeping. A link will be sent for you to book your session. Head to www.aprilknell.com
In terms of training, experience & skillset:
- Experienced postnatal doula
- Comprehensive peer to peer breastfeeding training course through a local baby cafe initiative
- Birth and postnatal doula preparation course ran by Developing Doulas
- Breastfeeding study days from Breastfeeding London
- First Aid course for baby and child with the British Red Cross
- Post Natal development course, including refresher First Aid section with Younique
- Twins & Multiples workshop for birth & postnatal care
- Study day for Understanding Newborns, which was so insightful and wonderful!
- Supported mums with twins and mums who have had C-sections
- Mental heath studies