Doula UK is the leading organisation of doulas, founded in 2001, and is a not for profit community interest company with over 700 Doula UK members and friends.
Doula UK aims to:
- Promote life-changing support for women and birthing people in the childbearing year, regardless of circumstance
- Nurture the doula community; protecting parents and health professionals
- Advocate for better support for UK families
What are the benefits of joining Doula UK?
- You will be part of the leading doula organisation in the UK, Ireland and Channel Islands.
- You can create a professional Doula UK profile page on our website where you can list your experience, ambitions and training, and can be found using a postcode search of doulas in our Find a Doula directory.
- Join a thriving community of doulas at local and national social gatherings as well as invitation to events and conferences often with discounts for Doula UK members.
- Access to members pages, resources, sample contracts and guidelines.
- An invitation to our private facebook group and local area facebook group.
- Automatic membership of the European Doula Network.
- Receive a monthly newsletter.
- Access to Doula UK event materials for marketing.
- Option to be paid using Doula UK Vouchers
- The opportunity to volunteer for a variety of roles within Doula UK.
- Exclusive Doula UK membership discounts for CPD training courses, conferences and events
- Find individual support from a Doula UK mentor who will guide you through your first experiences as a doula.
- You can volunteer to give doula support to those most in need through the Doula Access Fund
- Half Price discount on Doula UK membership (£4 a month) for people in receipt of means tested benefits.
If you would like to find out more about becoming a doula you can book a place on our Doula UK Introductory Workshop.
Doula UK membership is priced at £25 joining fee followed by monthly membership fee of £8 per month.
Discount is available for those in receipt of mean testing benefits.
Doula UK mentoring is capped at £300 for birth doula recognition and £300 for postnatal doula recognition. If you choose to do both the cost is capped at £600. Mentors offer payment plans typically five payments of £60.
Membership of Doula UK
All doulas who attend a Doula UK Approved Doula Preparation Course are invited to join Doula UK.
Doula UK Approved courses must follow the Doula UK core curriculum. All courses are led by experienced doulas and are regularly assessed. We encourage you to visit the individual course provider websites and explore their approaches to help you decide which course is right for you. Find out more about Doula UK Approved Courses.
Alternative Routes to Membership
Doula UK strives to be an inclusive and open organisation. The alternative pathway to membership is open to birth professionals, experienced doulas or those who have completed comprehensive doula training elsewhere. There is a requirement that you attend additional Doula UK Alternative Pathway training modules and that you undertake Doula UK mentoring.
If you would like to apply for Doula UK Alternative Pathway membership you can apply here
Doula UK Alternative Pathway workshops take place online and there are two modules. When the modules have been completed individuals can then join Doula UK and will be mentored by a Doula UK Mentor for a minimum of 4 births/PN jobs.
Alternative Pathway is suitable for:
- Experienced Doulas – for experienced doulas with or without formal training (15 or more births and/or 300 postnatal hours)
- Birth Professionals – for experienced birth professionals – suitable for antenatal teachers, midwives etc, people who understand the anatomy and physiology of pregnancy, birth, newborns
- New Doulas – for newer doulas who have completed comprehensive training with non Doula UK approved doula preparation courses.
Bursary Spaces: Up to two places per workshop will be offered free of charge. The bursary spaces are available for people from a minoritised background, including but not limited to, aspiring doulas who are Black, Asian, ethnically diverse, gender diverse, people with disabilities, LGBTQ+ and have a significant financial barrier to taking part. We are offering bursaries to these groups because we insist on protecting and increasing representation in our sector.groups please email email@example.com to apply.
Overseas Affiliate Member of Doula UK
The benefits of being an Overseas Member:
- Be part of the leading Doula UK network of doulas
- Work alongside a network of doulas who are committed to abiding by Doula UK’s Philosophy, Code of Conduct, Infant Feeding Guidance and other best practice guidelines
- Access to our Mentoring programme to support your journey as a doula with Doula UK
- Discounted access to Doula UK events
- Use of Doula UK logo for your website and social media
- Access to the members only area of the website
- Access to closed Facebook Doula UK Members’ group
- Discounted CPD
- Volunteer opportunities
- Access to the Doula Support Network
A Friend of Doula UK
Membership fee is £25 per annum. You can become a Friend of Doula UK and support our work straight away here.
We look forward to welcoming you to Doula UK!