Birth (Mentored) Birth (Mentored)
Lives in: Bicester OX25
Local info and availability:
My postcode is OX25 and I cover anywhere that is up to a 50 min drive from me so Oxfordshire, Bicester, NW Buckinghamshire, NW of Aylesbury, Brackley area, Banbury, Chipping Norton & areas nearby, Shipston on Stour. Please drop me a message if you are unsure if I cover your area! I have no availability for birth work in 2023 as I am booked. I am taking bookings for births in 2024. I have good availability at the moment. I am available for postnatal support Monday, Tuesday and Friday daytimes, weekday evenings (6pm - 9.30pm) and weekend daytimes.
Birth Story Listening Service Breastfeeding Support
Hello, I’m Hilary and I’m a birth and postnatal Doula based near Bicester, Oxfordshire. It is a privilege to support families during one of the most transformative periods of their lives. I believe that everyone deserves continuity of support and care during pregnancy, birth, and the postpartum period, regardless of their circumstances.
I have two young children and my own pregnancies, births (C-section and VBAC) and transition into parenthood were both amazing and tough, beautiful and challenging. Since then, I have been absolutely fascinated by the rollercoaster journey of birth and becoming a parent! Becoming a Doula has been a really positive way for me to channel my own story into positive action to support others.
I would love the chance to be your Birth and/or Postnatal Doula. I support all births – abdominal, vaginal, at home, in hospital and midwife-led units. I am led by you, I aim to help you to make your own informed choices that are right for you and your family.
My focus is on providing practical and emotional support to families. I empower and nurture parents and families through being there, listening, making suggestions if you need it, sharing evidence – based information, connecting you with people and groups if you need, and through conversations over a cup of tea (and cake) or a walk!
Please don’t hesitate to get in touch to talk through what you need. I offer a 30 minute free, no obligation ‘Get to know me’ call so we can chat through your needs and you can find out more about how I could support.
I have packages of Birth support I can offer you to suit your needs. I will be beside you, supporting you through pregnancy and as you prepare for birth and will normally be there at the birth (if you would like).
I offer stand alone support through my birth story listening service (to talk through previous births) and birth planning and preparation.
I can work with you while you are pregnant to prepare your postnatal plan and be part of it as well as doing ad-hoc sessions with you when you need it after you have given birth (including last minute requests).
I can help you focus on rest, bonding with your baby and settling into your new life as a parent through emotional support, sharing evidence-based information and doing practical tasks (if that’s what the family needs) eg, holding the baby so you can rest, active listening, making nourishing food, folding laundry, playing with older children, tidying up a bit etc.
I support however you choose to feed your baby. I am a trained breastfeeding peer supporter.
I love connecting people! I can support you to build a positive community around you as your family grows, helping you to support your wellbeing. From finding new friends, meet ups, exercise groups to people and organisations who can support with anything you want to learn more about as a new family/ mother/ parent.
Relevant Training & Experience:
- Nurturing Birth Distance doula course, completed in July 2023.
- TBR College of Perinatal Mental Health: Trauma informed listening skills for perinatal professionals completed September 2023; Bring relief with your Debrief course (on-going 2023).
- ABM Breastfeeding Peer Supporter Training, completed July 2022. I am a member of ABM.
- Mother to two young children (4 and 2). I was induced and had an unplanned c – section/ abdominal birth with my first child (after a planned home birth) and then a vaginal birth after c section with my second in hospital. I did a hypnobirthing course and NCT course as part of my antenatal birth prep.
- I volunteer weekly as a Breastfeeding Peer Supporter for a Baby Feeding Cafe in Bicester and with Oxfordshire Breastfeeding Support since January 2023 – supporting families on their feeding journeys in groups and supporting antenatal education sessions.
- I co-run a welcoming and popular, baby and toddler group in Steeple Aston, OX25.
- I have a developing local network in the ‘birth world’ and links through my own connections and with my volunteering to fellow Doulas, midwives (NHS and private), hypnobirthing teachers, perinatal mental health support, birth trauma support services, baby and toddler groups, feeding support, postnatal fitness, osteopaths, acupuncturists.
- I was Deputy CEO and Director of Enterprise for Shoreditch Trust in Hackney, East London prior to having my children. A charity supporting people to make changes in their lives with a focus on health and wellbeing including a peer support project for pregnant women ‘Bump Buddies’. So I am familiar with health and social care systems and settings and worked closely with a range of partners from local residents, businesses, political figures, policy makers, funders, commissioners, healthcare workers, GPs, midwives etc – a lot of knowledge and all the communication and negotiation skills I use as a Doula.
- I volunteered for The Samaritans for 3.5 years as a Listener on the phones and a mentor to other Listeners and I use the active listening skills I learned every day.
- I have full insurance as a Doula and I am DBS checked.
My client H had her 2nd baby in July 2023 and I provided postnatal support to her and her family during the fourth trimester:
“Hilary was an absolute lifeline during my postpartum journey! She has a very gentle but confident approach and her ability to anticipate my needs was a game-changer. There were a few days when we were scheduled to meet where I felt too tired and overwhelmed to even let her know what I needed help with. Hilary used the comprehensive questionnaire she had me complete at the beginning to determine precisely how she could assist me that day. It was this level of attentiveness that made Hilary an outstanding doula.
I wholeheartedly recommend Hilary to anyone considering a postpartum doula. She’s a remarkable professional who goes above and beyond to support new mums like me. Hilary provides the encouragement any mum would benefit from to navigate the challenges of the first few months of motherhood”.