Birth (Recognised since December 2021)
Lives in: Wadebridge PL27
Local info and availability:
Birth settings across Cornwall and the Devon border including home births, Derriford Hospital in Plymouth, Royal Cornwall Hospital Trust (Treliske) in Truro, Penrice and Helston Birthing Centres.
* Rituals and Ceremonies (Mother Blessings, Closing the Bones, Placenta Burials) * Birthing from Within Antenatal Education (Groups and Private Mentoring) * Pregnancy Support * Pregnancy and Post-natal Circles * Post-natal Support * Shamanic drum journeys and healings for pregnancy and post-natally * Doula Mentor (Conscious Birthing)
Hello! I’m Jo, a 49 year old experienced Mum of three lovely and lively children aged 8, 11 and 12. I live just outside Wadebridge in North Cornwall with my family and Apple the cat. I love to bake sourdough bread and enjoy nourishing those around me with food, love and my time.
Becoming a parent for the first time (or even the second, third or fourth!) is a life changing and transformative experience which I believe should be honored and celebrated by all those around you. I believe that birth is a sacred event and I’m passionate about supporting you to have a positive and empowered experience, no matter where or how you birth your baby. Pregnancy is a journey and sometimes there are a few bumps in the road, so if yours takes a different path from your original plan, I will be there to support you every step of the way.
I have supported births at home, in hospital (Derriford, Treliske and Exeter) and birth centres. I have supported water births, wild and free births (and wild pregnancies) assisted birth (forceps and ventouse), cesarean birth (both elected and unplanned), vaginal births after cesarean (at home and in hospital), inductions, twins and vaginal breech birth. I work in a trauma informed and culturally sensitive way at all times.
It is ALWAYS an honour for me to walk alongside you on your birth journey and provide support for the whole of your family (partners, siblings and grandparents too!) We are all unique and have different life experiences, personal circumstances, hopes and wishes and I respect that. I will support you and your family without judgement and have every faith that the decisions that you make are the right ones for you.
Preparation for birth is a journey of self-discovery and transformation, so we will explore your strengths and inner resources together, as well as your hopes, fears and concerns about pregnancy, birth and becoming a new parent. We will also talk through all your options so that you feel confident, empowered and of course excited about the birth of your baby.
As each family is so different I like to tailor the support I offer to your own unique needs and meet you right where you are. If you are drawn to meditations, journaling, drum journeys and birth related art, then we can weave into our time together, but if that’s not for you, then that’s OK too.
I always offer a no obligation chat with families who are looking for a doula as this helps me to get to know you a little and for you to see if I am the right doula for you. Connection is everything after all!
Being a doula is so much more than just a job for me, it is a part of my life. Every family I support teaches me something new about birth and about myself; it is a journey and I am always learning.
“From the moment you ask them to be yours, a piece of their heart has your name on it”
(Sarah Caldwell, The Unspoken Truth About Your Doula)
Training and Experience
I spent 15 years working in the charity sector in different roles and in 2014, my family moved to Cornwall and embarked on a BIG lifestyle change (and we have never looked back!) I came to be a doula after my third child was born, although perhaps I was always meant to follow this path, but was just waiting for the right time!
In October 2017, I completed my doula training with Kate Woods of Conscious Birthing and was mentored by Kate as part of her Student Doula Programme for 2 years. I finished my training and became an ‘established’ Conscious Birthing doula in January 2020. I decided to join Doula UK in 2020 and I am now also a Doula UK recognised doula.
- October 2017 – Birth Doula Training with Kate Woods at Conscious Birthing
- April 2018 – Jan 2020, mentored doula through Conscious Birthing’s Student Programme, with Kate Woods
- December 2017 – Herbs for pregnancy, birth and after with Sarah Lambourne, Golden Earth Temple
- December 2017 – Closing the Bones Training with Maddie McMahon
- April 2018 – Homeopathy for Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond with Sophie Knock
- April 2018 – Breastfeeding Peer Supporter Training with Real Baby Milk
- November 2018 – Hospital Peer Supporter Training with Real Baby Milk
- November 2018 – NICE breastfeeding training
- April 2019 – Breastfeeding Support Training for Young Mums with Wild
- June 2109 – Massage for Women with curandera and ethnobotanist, Rocio Alarcon
- June 2019 – I’m Fine, perinatal Mental Health Training
- June 2019 – Doulas Without Borders, Trauma Informed Care training with Kate Woods
- September 2019 – Deepening Woman with Rachael Crow
- Jan 2020 – Completed Conscious Birthing’s Student Doula Programme and became an ‘Established’ doula
- September 2020 – The Care Certificate (via The Brandon Trust)
- April 2020 to date – The Art of Birth, Naoli Vinaver
- October 2020 – joined Doula UK
- February 2021 – Epilepsy Awareness, The Brandon Trust
- March 2021 – Ongoing – Shamanic Mentoring with Eva Bay Greenslade
- March 2022 – Joined Wise Woman Birth School
- April 2022 – Birthing from Within – Childbirth Educator Training
- March 2023 – became a doula mentor with Conscious Birthing
Some Kind Words
“I wish every woman could have a doula like Jo to support them through pregnancy and birth.”
“Jo is an amazing Doula! She supported me during pregnancy, birth and after as well as performing the closing the bones ceremony!
She is so passionate about helping people and I cannot believe how much she helped me and my husband during the birth! Highly recommend!!”
“Jo was my doula. She helped me and my husband throughout the labour so much.
I ended up using the birthing pool. I didn’t think this was going to happen due to complications but Jo really helped to make this happen.
I highly recommend Jo. She helps you to realise you have a choice about things you wouldn’t think about.”
“Jo was supportive and knowledgeable. She provided me with useful information from the very start. Before the birth she helped me with my anxieties and uncertainties. During the birth she knew exactly what was needed and when. For instance she was aware of the babies positioning and therefore knew what would help during the contractions. After the birth the closing of the bones ceremony felt very special and an important part of the journey to motherhood. Jo was always very kind, calm and unobtrusive. I would highly recommend her to any pregnant mother.”
“I don’t know that I would have had the most perfect VBB (Vaginal Breech Birth) I had without Jo. She was a key part of my experience. She supported my back during every, single, surge. She was there for me. She was quiet and calm but also incredibly strong and encouraging. She gave space to my partner but at the same time she was present all along. She brought essential oils and helped me to position myself as well as decorate the room with my affirmations and fairy lights.”