Postnatal (Recognised since March 2021)
Lives in: Dorking RH4
Local info and availability:
Dorking, Leatherhead, Epsom, Sutton, Guildford, Cranleigh, Horsham, Reigate, Redhill, Crawley and surrounding areas of Surrey and West Sussex. I am happy to travel up to 45 minutes from my home in Dorking.
Sling Consultant. Breastfeeding Peer Supporter.
Hi, I’m Katherine, a 42 year old Postnatal Doula based in Surrey. I live in Dorking with my husband James and our three children aged 13, 11 and 7. I have been a doula since 2018 and have been working with new families as a sling consultant and breastfeeding peer supporter since 2016.
It’s great that you’re thinking about support in the early days, we aren’t meant to do this alone. Whether you’re welcoming your first baby or your fourth, adjusting to the shifts and changes a new life can bring takes time and it can be challenging and exhausting. I can offer flexible support and help whatever that might look like to you.
My support will always be warm, compassionate and non-judgemental, as your doula I will walk alongside you through your joys, doubts and anxieties, I will work with you to create a space where you feel nurtured, valued and supported.
As your postnatal doula I can give you some extra time and space so you can:
Rest and recover from your birth.
Bond with your new arrival, spend time being together and getting to know one another.
Establish feeding and develop an understanding of your baby’s cues.
Gently introduce a new sibling and spend time connecting with your other children.
I can offer you practical help, I can do light housework, hang the washing, load the dishwasher -all those little tasks that often feel like they are mounting up and taking up a lot of head space.
I love cooking and can make you and your family nutritious and tasty meals, snacks and treats to keep you going day and night.
I will happily entertain your other children, giving you precious time to rest or focus on your newborn, I have spent several years as a primary school teaching assistant and running a busy toddler group so I am familiar and comfortable with children of all ages.
I can offer you a listening ear and a safe space on your journey to becoming a mother and above all I can support you to be kind and compassionate to yourself as you adapt to the changes a new baby can bring.
As your doula I can act as a bridge or short cut to other sources of information and support, in the haze of sleep deprivation and vulnerability it can often seem hard to find them. Whether it’s a free breastfeeding drop in or a baby massage class, I will be there for you as you explore your options and find your way.
Some kind words from families I have supported recently:
“Katherine is friendly, knowledgeable and super helpful. Not only is she great with my daughter but she is also an amazing cook and does all of this whilst concurrently providing emotional support at a time when you are adjusting to motherhood. I wish I’d found her sooner!”
“I was so lucky to find Katherine as my doula. I was due my second baby, and after a traumatic birth with complications after my first, I wanted to ensure I had the right support so I could enjoy the early days with my newborn this time.
Katherine has a calm, kind nature, I trusted her immediately and her support was brilliant. She is totally non-judgemental and has a wealth of knowledge about postnatal support in the local community. Katherine is a wonderful doula and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend her to any new mum”
“I think Katherine is everything you could ask for in a doula: calm, gentle, thoughtful and curious, hugely supportive and lovely with the baby.”
“Katherine’s support has changed my experience of being a new mum. Knowing that a calm and helpful presence is coming once a week makes me so much more confident. We use her visits to get things done that I can’t manage on my own or to catch up if I get behind on daily chores, and also make use of her knowledge of baby care and baby wearing. She has a gentle manner and great affinity with little babies, my son loves her and enjoys her visits as much as I do. Highly recommended.”
I am in awe of mothers, of their strength, their resilience, their capacity for love, their tenderness and their courage. I am passionate about all things birth and early parenthood, I love learning and continue to update my knowledge on a regular basis. Here are some of the workshops and courses I have attended over recent years:
- The Association For Breastfeeding Mothers, Mother Supporter Course.
- Slingababy Sling Consultant Training.
- Active Listening and Basic Counselling Skills, Wibke Holt, Carry On London.
- The Benefit of Skin to Skin Contact and Applying TICKS in Kangaroo Care, Nicole Hastie, Carry On London, 2016
- ‘Infant Mental Health’, Wibke Holt, The Northern Sling Exhibition, Sheffield
- ‘Using Slings and Wraps in Labour and Beyond’, Sophie Messager, Slingababy CPD
- ‘Understanding Newborns’, Younique Postnatal, London
- 8 week Breastfeeding Peer Support Course with Jill Sheperd IBCLC
- ‘Breastfeeding Case Studies’ Study Day with Maddie McMahon, Haywards Heath
- ‘Understanding Infant Behaviour’ Emily Fackrell Director of CalmFamily CIC, Slingababy CPD
- ‘Postnatal Doula Preparation Course’, Younique Postnatal, Midhurst
- ‘Perinatal Mental Health’, A 1 day Workshop led by Dr. Jo. Gee Psychotherapist, Mummas Wellbeing, Guildford.
- ‘Nurturing New Baby and Me’ A 3 day course with Lynn Murphy, The Active Birth Centre, London.
- ‘Understanding and Preventing Reflux’ Workshop with Younique Postnatal, London.
- ‘An Introduction to Postnatal Shiatsu’ with Well Mother, Surrey.
- ‘Holistic Sleep Mini Course’ with Lyndsey Hookway, Online.
I am fully insured, DBS checked and hold a 12 hour Paediatric First Aid qualification.
Get in touch:
Thank you for taking the time to read this, if you’d like to arrange a time to meet and chat about how we might work together please get in touch here or through my website.
I wish you love and luck on your journey,