Birth (Recognised since January 2013)
Lives in: Frome BA11
Local info and availability:
I cover Frome and surrounding areas up to about 10 miles. I have a full clean driving license. www.BeyondBirthing.co.uk
I offer professional Continuum Doula services (with 6 meetings both sides of your birth) antenatal education and I am a qualified breastfeeding counsellor. I am passionate about empowered pregnancy & dignified childbirth - the way YOU choose. Along side Doulaing I offer: An extensive shared care package, private, 1-2-1 antenatal workshops, which are affordable to all, induction and caesarean birth package, my bespoke 'All ears' Birth debrief service, and unique antenatal teaching aids- Beaded Birth Lines and Birth flags. I also offer Mentoring to new Doulas and I am a DUK Doula training course provider. www.continuumdoulatraining.co.uk Please see my website for more information of each of these services.
I believe that birth can be straightforward but it does require preparation to ‘stack the odds in your favour’.
By taking responsibility for your birth you can become informed & knowledgeable about your birth and your choices.
This means going inwards & facing fears, hand-picking your birth support and trusting the ancient process of birth.
I offer a highly individualised professional Doula service which includes:
6 antenatal meetings, the content led by you
Attendance of your birth
6 postnatal meetings, again led by you.
This model is known as the Continuum Method.
Individual antenatal workshops including – writing effective birthing preferences ,tips for birth partners, home/water birth, massage confidence and birth after caesarean, loss or trauma.
As your Doula I have key up to date information on many topics available to give you, so you can make informed choices in your pregnancy- not choices made through fear.
‘Faith Eliminates Fear’- Michel Odent
* Breastfeeding Counsellor training University of Worcester (NCT)
* Antenatal Teacher training University of Bedforshire (NCT)
* Doula training with Nurturing Birth, with Kicki Hansard and with Conscious birthing, with Kate Woods.
* Access to HE Diploma (DipHE)- Midwifery Pathway (2yrs study with full portfolio)
* Birth Matters workshop, with Ina May Gaskin
* Looking at Loss with Denise Stanford-Bell
* Birth as a sexual experience – Sheila Kitzinger & Prof Celia Kitzinger
* Breast Feeding Peer Support Training with Somerset NHS.
* ‘Care of the labouring woman’ with Midwife Lesley Shuttler
* ‘Abnormal’ birth with Midwife Sue Carr
* ‘Normal birth’ with Midwife Sue Carr
* Water Birth revisited with Midwife Dianne Garland
* Physicality of birth NCT workshop
* Da-a-luz holistic birth workshop – “The Essence of Birth” with Vanessa Brooks
* Practical Workshop discovering the essence of what it means to “be” during birth.
* Rebozo for pregnancy and childbirth with the School of Baby Wearing
* Homeopathy for pregnancy and labour with Tess Chodan
* Childbirth: towards a paradigm shift- a study day with Michel Odent.
* Biological nurturing workshop with Suzanne Colson- is Breastfeeding a learnt skill?
* Breast Feeding older children with Ann Sincott- Common misconceptions.
* Understanding baby: Supporting Parent with Jenette Appleton- The Brazleton Centre
* What is Baby Led Weaning? with Gail Rapley
* Human Milk Banking in the care of the premature infant- Lynda Coulter.
* The Food of Love- a talk with Kate Evans, author and cartoonist.
* Lets Hear it for Dads- speakers including Rob Parsons, Tina Miller, James McQuillan
* Listening Skills & Supporting New Parents NCT Southwest training day.
* Foundation training- NCT certified Workshop.
Self directed studies
* Aromatherapy and instinctual massage techniques for labour
* Acupressure as pain relief in labour
* Homeopathy in pregnancy and labour
* Birth advocacy & birth trauma support.
* Birth Art.
* Supporting the Partners/Fathers role.
I have experience of supporting parents in many different situations. I have attended home births, hospital births (both midwife led and obstetric units) emergency and planned caesarean births. I have experience with multiples.