Lives in: Hemel Hempstead HP3
Local info and availability:
Based in Hemel Hempstead, I am available to offer tailored support in Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire and North London.
Hypnobirthing, Biomechanics for Birth, Postnatal Planning, Breastfeeding Counsellor.
Hi there 🙂 I am Stacey, a Birth and Postnatal Doula and NCT trained Breastfeeding Counsellor. Based in Hertfordshire with my tween-age daughter, I enjoy long walks and planning my next adventure. I am a fan of musical theatre and, most important, I couldn’t imagine my life without animals in it (I am currently co-habiting with my gorgeous little Shih Tzu and two very cheeky rabbits!).
The experience of becoming a mother changed me in so many ways, including my career aspirations. In fact, for the first time in my life I felt I knew what I wanted to do. Moving from a career in marketing, I went to university to study for a foundation degree, Birth and Beyond, with NCT and Worcester University and I haven’t looked back.
With more than 5 years’ experience supporting families with new babies, I am deeply passionate about delivering personalised support that aligns with my clients’ individual needs, goals, and aspirations. Ensuring my clients have access the most up to date evidenced-based information enables them to make informed decisions/refusals and maintain a sense of control as they confidently navigate their journey to parenthood.
I am committed to promoting empowered birth experiences and prioritising postnatal healing to create a strong foundation for new families to thrive. My key areas of focus are:
- For the mother to feel listened to and ‘held’ throughout pregnancy and beyond, ensuring their sense of control is maintained and decisions respected.
- Safeguarding the experience of the partner, who can often feel excluded, supporting them to find their unique and critical role during labour.
- Increase recognition and respect of the postnatal period as a time for rest, nourishment and, ultimately, healing for the mother regardless of the type of birth.
The birth of a baby is a transformative experience which can, and should, be empowering regardless of the birth setting (eg homebirth, hospital) or type of birth (vaginal, caesarean), and I am committed to supporting you achieve this through:
- Assisting you in developing your preferences for labour and birth, guided by your hopes, past experiences, and the latest evidence-based information, to enable you to make informed decisions.
- During labour and birth, I will help to create and protect a safe, oxytocin-fuelled environment and advocate for you, when needed, to enable you and your partner (if you have one) to focus on each other and your baby.
- Once your new baby arrives, I will ensure you feel settled, having washed and eaten, provide support with feeding (including the first feed), and any information on taking care of yourself and your baby as your postnatal journey begins.
Proven to be beneficial for the whole family (birthing person, partner and baby), I can also offer one to one hypnobirthing preparation as an addition to the Birth Doula package.
Though widely unrecognised in western culture, the postnatal period is a vitally important time for rest, nourishment and, ultimately, healing for the mother.
My purpose is to specifically not focus on the baby (everyone else will be doing that!), but to focus on the needs of the mother and her partner.
As your postnatal doula, I will take time, to support you to consider what can be put in place now, before your baby arrives, to help you manage the foggy, incoherent days to come. Guided by a holistic approach, I will tailor my support to your specific needs which may include:
- Supporting emotional needs through active listening and a non-judgemental approach.
- Providing encouragement and with baby-care as you take your first steps as a new parent.
- Caring for your newborn to allow you undisturbed time to yourself to rest, sleep, take a long bath.
- Signposting to evidenced-based information to help you make informed decisions.
- Accompanying you to appointments and other trips out of the house.
- Supporting you with your feeding choices.
- Preparing nutritious snacks and meals to ensure you and your family are nourished.
- Light housework (washing up, laundry, surface cleaning, general tidying etc
For more information on the services I offer, please visit my website, www.staceythedoula.co.uk.
‘We had a wonderful experience with Stacey as our doula. She is warm, supportive, and easy to engage with, and really takes the time to get to know you and to understand your hopes and concerns.
Labour was something I felt quite anxious about but our sessions with Stacey left me feeling calm, prepared, and in control. She sincerely believes that birth can be a positive and empowering experience and did her level best to help us achieve that – even when things didn’t go exactly according to plan!
We also really valued the practical advice on stretches, exercises and relaxations Stacey shared with us, and were so grateful for her guidance on breastfeeding in the early days following our daughter’s arrival.
She was an integral part of our journey and we are so pleased to have had her with us!w to be adaptable and ready to welcome our baby, however she ended up arriving. ‘
Sarah M. August 2023
From the moment we met Stacey, we felt like we were being held with care and understanding. Stacey gives the best hugs and we laughed and cried together as she saw us through our birth with perspective, empathy and sensitivity.
Stacey’s enthusiasm for the magic of birth and having children was infectious and helped us feel more ready to become parents. Importantly for us, Stacey treated us as a couple and a team, and really got the present and active role we all wanted to play in the birth. Without family nearby and having also experienced some acute anxiety during pregnancy, Stacey became an important, constant and caring point of contact throughout.
Stacey was available to come with to appointments, extremely communicative and responsive in a rapidly changing situation when the birth happened, and helped us reframe expectations about birth and our experience of it to a more positive position. She enabled us to have an empowered birthing experience by giving us time, language and perspective to consider how we wanted to approach our birth and how to be adaptable and ready to welcome our baby, however she ended up arriving.
Stacey’s support in preparing to welcome our baby into the world and our family was integral and we’re incredibly glad to have worked with her.
S.C. June 2023
‘Stacey has been our birth and postnatal doula and I couldn’t recommend her enough. She is very calm, knowledgeable and was great with the baby! She helped us in the early days where everything gets a bit blurry, she took care of us and supported us as we entered this new universe of parenting and sleep deprivation, she made the journey smoother. She is a very pleasant person and knows a lot about breastfeeding which is very handy! Having her support made all the difference to us and we’ll be forever grateful.’
E.C. January 2023