Location: In person in the UK and also online
Course Type: Birth Doula Preparation, Postnatal Doula Preparation
Cost: From £800
- Courses facilitated by traditional doulas, each with over 20 years experience with in person and online options available as set out below.
- Five day in person intensive courses in Cornwall, Glastonbury, London, Brighton and abroad, some with residential options. Groups can contact us directly for courses in their location.
- Twelve week online doula training includes Birth, Postnatal and TIDE (Trauma Informed Doula Education) learning.
- Six week online Full Immersion Postnatal doula training
- An invitation to join the Conscious Birthing Network and receive peer support online and personal support from one of our tutors.
- Fun, informative and multi-media, within a rich, relaxed learning environment.
- Small, confidential groups, creating a mutually supportive and in-depth approach.
- Highlighting the traditional role of birthkeeper/doula and reflecting on this grassroots path within a modern day context.
- Exploring the value of presence in a fast moving world, and developing tools for conscious, active listening.
- An opportunity to begin to reflect on our own pregnancy, birth and postpartum stories within a safe space, gently held by tutors and co-supported by each individual within the group: creating an opportunity to both practise the art of support during birth debriefing, an essential doula skill, to begin to lovingly unpack your own story and to experience the gift of being deeply heard.
- A truly holistic approach, including all medical and alternative models: waterbirth, homebirth, birth centre, hospital, assisted, freebirth and early parenting choices all covered, alongside the protocols and expectations within the institution of maternal care, with the focus on informed choice.
- Exploring human rights within the childbearing year: looking at ways in which to incorporate our human rights into a birth plan, to inform your families of these when making their informed choices and discussing ways in which to communicate human rights to midwives and consultants.
- Including a session on ‘Tools for Self-Reliance’: a fun, physical and informative journey, learning the practise of some ancient skills from around the world, to facilitate the empowerment of women during this sacred rite of passage.
- Integrated and in-depth inclusion of how to support and empower fathers/partners-to-be and to work alongside all potential companions during labour and birth.
- Guidance on working alongside healthcare professionals with grace whilst retaining clear boundaries as an advocate for your family-to-be.
- Looking at loss: a discussion on the many ways in which families can potentially experience loss, such as loss of expectation, or through miscarriage or stillbirth, and including signposting for us to pass on and peer support for us to lean on.
- Postnatal session: learn about breastfeeding, explore the essential need for postpartum care and discuss the notion of a postnatal plan.
- Experience a pop-up residential community of Birthworkers-to-be: a unique opportunity to spend time together in an informal setting, allowing for deeper reflection on the role, sharing questions, ideas and skills, alongside your tutors. Time for relaxation, massage from top practitioners, swimming and spending time in the sun (when abroad or in British Summertime) with the emphasis on connecting with nature and experiencing the power of self-nurture: initiating the value of ongoing self-care and peer support within our field. An invitation to delve more deeply into this lay tradition, whilst retreating from your everyday life.
- Advice and guidance for setting up and ethically marketing your Doula practice, including a step-by-step talk through the Doula UK recognition process, on finding a Mentor, the code of conduct, various schemes available and how both Doula UK’s and your own expectations might be met.
- Useful home research, networking and reflective reference pack, with guidance for signposting.
Certificate of attendance upon completion.
- Home study post course work pack, with plenty of time to complete in your own time and with full tutor support.
Online recommended reading list.
- Access to an extensive lending library (when courses held in Glastonbury).
- Options for further training. (This course is a foundation for Conscious Birthing’s Childbirth Educator/Antenatal teacher programme). Back to top